Working efficiency may be defined by the result. Of course, every employer may say whether the project is done or not. But how many employers can answer the question about the work time usage on their projects and, even more importantly, its efficiency? A timely completed project is not always the best in terms of work time efficiency, and vice versa.
An employee can work really hard, but accomplish only a small part of what he or she was expected to do. Every employer wants the job done as soon as possible. To achieve this, recruiters have developed a system to assess staff performance. These methods have been described in many references. For example, Wikipedia reads:
There are three main methods to count personnel efficiency:
- Qualitative: an employee is evaluated without and quantity terms.
- Combined methods: a set of descriptive methods using quantitative aspects.
- Quantitative methods: the most objective method, since all results are recorded in numbers.
In addition, many specialists see great importance of motivation which helps increase employee performance. Surveillance and monitoring, as well as timely certification and good motivation, are crucial to the success of any HR specialist.
Talking about specific methods, the most important and useful ones are the following:
- Graphic rating scale is a quantitative and qualitative characteristics (criteria). Each criteria is the level of the duties of a particular employee. Each employee has a value, and the manager gets the total staff rating based on individual values.
- Alternative method of ranking employees by selected criteria. You need to define the worst and the best employees multiple times by different criteria until the ranking is completed.
- Pairwise comparison method involving a comparative analysis of the two employees' activities.
- Method of management by objectives: discuss the achievement of certain goals and analyze visible progress of projects.
KPI and quantitative evaluation
The Key performance indicator (KPI) is the main term in employees’ efficiency measurement. This indicator helps provide an adequate payment and improve all projects. Key performance indicators define a set of values used for measuring. These sets of values which are fed to systems in charge of summarizing the information are called indicators. Indicators that are identifiable and marked as possible candidates for KPIs can be summarized into the following sub-categories.
Here are some important tips about KPI:
- You need a set of indicators to count, and employee must know it from the very beginning. There shouldn't be any secret data which only employer knows.
- Each indicator should reflect real things. The terms frequently used for this purpose are: project time, total operating time, and more.
- Every employee should be able to build their actions according to a plan, set goals to achieve maximum results.
Resource efficiency for IT DIRECTION
Especially important is the measurement of IT personnel working efficiently and all those working in software development and IT departments. The fact is that there is no clear distinction between the time spent at the computer and working efficiency. Time spent working is not always effective work time. Many HR managers have tried to found out a clear and effective way to measure efficiency of such workers, but have concluded there is just no other way but taking some abstract terms and qualities.
Here is a conclusion from one of the Habrahabr.ru bloggers:
To create the KPI in this sphere you need to:
- Determine which terms to use to evaluate efficiency.
- Understand how you will evaluate it.
- Create a transparent counting system.
First of all, a manager needs to determine the role of each employee within the project and the company.
Analysis is important for clear results. What do we want to achieve? What is the purpose of all activities on the project? By answering these questions we can determine the effective working hours, meaning the time spent directly on the particular task. And then we can see efficient hours and the overall working time. This could help us see inefficient work.
Evaluation of resource's efficiency in the TimeVizor system
To make a real efficiency evaluation you cannot provide just one method or count one KPI. The intellectual work may not have any clear-cut results, but a more complex, composite index is needed. In our system we use various criteria to count actual effective work. According to these criteria scores are given. This scoring system of evaluating efficiency helps see the resource's work from different angles and make adequate decisions.
Here are our main KPI for efficiency measurement:
- Analysis of visited sites and opened applications during working hours. The employer will be able to determine which applications are effective or ineffective for the job. Active sites are evaluated separately. There are some default categories which can be supplemented and varied.
- Analysis of input-output devices: time intervals, zero activity, computer performance. Any employer can estimate potential downtime and the number of scores which can be taken away or added. TimeVizor exhibits default values ranging from +1 to -1.
- Work continuity. If the employee takes a break all too often without focusing on the job, this work cannot be taken as effective. For example, if an employee takes a break more than 5 times in 30 minutes, scores are taken off. The employer may set this parameter on his own.
- One more optional KPI: computer productivity. No one wants to pay for downloading an application during 10 minutes, for example. The employer needs the project done, thus we have to analyze the CPU speed and its performance capabilities. If working with comparatively simple programs and files takes too much time, scores are taken off. The employer sets this parameter on his own.
As you can see, it is hardly possible to find a single perfect metrics to measure work efficiency. However, combining various methods may bring tangible results. Working time, visited sites and opened apps analysis, and even resources' comparing – all these metrics are important for personnel performance evaluating. TimeVizor analytical reports give every project manager or employer a highly valuable tool to make right decisions about effective or ineffective work in their organizations. We will help you manage your resources well!