1. Program Description
TimeTracker is a client application for tracking work time and correspondent data. TimeTracker allows you to monitor work time, opened apps, screenshots, and webcam shots (depending on the settings). The Employer can view this data in his or her personal account on the site. The app supports multiple projects and employers (clients).
Important! Though the program is dubbed TimeTracker, it is actually installed as EmployeeAgent. This is the name of the module that directly interacts with the employee.
Employers views statistics of their employees by accessing the timevizor.com acccount through any browser. Here is where you manage your projects, employees, and all preferences, and view work statistics. The employee also can (but not obliged to) view their work reports by signing up. However, the registration is voluntary for employees.
TimeTracker is an app for employees only! Employers do not need it. So we assume that this documentation is read by employees.
Before installation, please make sure you have a license to work.
A license is a .gz file containing all information on the employee’s control mode. The license is generated by your employer on the site and limits data transfer between the app and the server to the data specified by your employer.
2.1. Installation on Windows
Before download, please make sure all OS updates have been installed. If you cannot install them due to some reason, install only this update from the Microsoft website.
Now just download the installation file from timevizor.com corresponding to the operating system and architecture of your computer (version Windows XP or Windows 7 for OS Windows 7 and higher; 32 or 64 bit).
If during installation you encounter a runtime error, please install this update from the Microsoft website.
2.2. Installation on Ubuntu
With root rights:
sudo apt-get install ./TimeTracker-Ubuntu14-X86_64-0.7.80.deb
sudo apt-get remove TimeTracker
Without root rights into the home folder:
sudo dpkg –install –instdir=/home/[USERNAME]/TimeTracker ./TimeTracker-Ubuntu14-X86_64-0.7.80.deb
sudo dpkg –remove TimeTracker
2.3. Installation on CentOS (Red Hat)
With root rights:
sudo yum localinstall TimeTracker-CentOS7-X86_64-0.7.81.rpm
sudo yum remove TimeTracker
Without root rights into the home folder:
rpm –install –prefix=/opt/TimeTracker ./TimeTracker-CentOS7-X86_64-0.7.81.rpm
rpm –erase TimeTracker
2.4. Installation on OS X
Just download the installation file from timevizor.com and install it. Important: you have to allow the app to control your computer, otherwise it won't be able to record keyboard activity. Unless this wasn't done during installation process, you can do so later: just open in your operating system Settings → Security & Privacy → Accessibility and check the box against EmployeeAgent.app.
2.5. Downloading License
When installing TimeTracker, you will be prompted to download your license. Click on the button Browse and locate the license file on your computer. After installation is complete, it is recommended to check the boxes Create a desktop shortcut and Add a shortcut to the start menu for quick access.
It is very important to download the valid license when installing TimeTracker. If you failed to do so due to some reasons, you can just copy the file into the user folder on your computer. It varies for different operating systems:
Please note that an employee does not have to enter any passwords or sign up in any way to work in TimeTracker. All the identifying information is stored in the license file alone.
You need to pay for a license on the website in order for it to work. At any moment of time, only the number of paid licenses can work. For example, you generated 10 licenses, but paid for 2. It means that you can work with two licenses at the same time at your choice.
2.6. Installing OSIC Browser Extension
If you have browsers Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox installed, you need to install the OSIC extension for this browser. To do this, please open the following link:
Reboot the browser after OSIC installation.
Important! You have to install OSIC even if you do not use the corresponding browser. For example, if you have Chrome installed, but you prefer Edge, you still have to install OSIC for Chrome.
3. Work in the App
You can fine-tune EmployeeAgent according to your needs by means of settings under the Tools menu with self-explanatory titles.
You can adjust TimeTracker according to your preferences using the settings in the menu Tools with self-explanatory captions:
- Language – Select a language convenient to you. Russian and English are currently supported.
- Interface – Check the box Start in tray if you want the app to automatically minimize to the system tray upon launch.
- Records – Choose the host and port if needed. By default, they are timevizor.com and 80 respectively. The checkbox Save to disk allows for saving records’ copies locally on your computer, and the field Limit to keep lets you specify how many last records will be stored locally (these two options do not affect the number of server-hosted records).
- Trace – Debugging log. Select the depth of tracing and the number of log files saved to disk. This is generally only needed for debugging purposes, and most of the time you will need to activate it only when asked by the developers.
3.2. Time Tracking for Employee
You can track your work time in two ways:
- In the main program window (tab Contacts) – Right-click on the project you need and select Start tracking. After the work ended, click Stop tracking in the same way. You can also add an optional work note for your employer to see in this context menu.
- In your operating system tray – Right-click on the EmployeeAgent icon and select Start tracking → Project name. After the work ended, you need to stop tracking in the same context menu or just close the app.
When starting tracking, you can post a note that will be displayed in your employer's reports. This is a good way to show what you are working on at the moment. You can also set up automatic reminder about its update through the drop-down menu Review after. Choose an interval between 10 minutes and 2 hours to make the window pop-up each time this period of time passes or Never to disable this behaviour.
3.3. Data Collection
As you work in TimeTracker, data about your activity is collected on your computer (if enabled in the settings). The default saving path for Windows is the following:
However, settings and data of the app itself are saved in the folder C:\Program Files (or C:\Program Files(86) if you install a 32-bit version on 64-bit architecture).
The sub-folders are:
- cache – Cache data (cached files).
- crashes – Reports about malfunction of the app.
- data – Monitored data if the setting “save to disk” enabled or data postponed for further forwarding due to error.
- etc – Settings from the file setting.xml.
- log – File logging program events.
3.4. Events Table
For your convenience, time tracking actions and Operating System events that trigger them are summarized in the following table:
|mode\event||logging in||logging out||change user|
|Worklog||–||Your Operating System closes EmployeeAgent on exit which results in the stop of the tracking. EmployeeAgent attempts to submit the last work record. If it fails, it will be submitted on the next launch.||Your Operating System sends the message to EmployeeAgent app about the user change event, and EmployeeAgent stops the tracking. When the user gets back, the OS sends the message again, and EmployeeAgent resumes the tracking.|
|Monitoring||TimeTracker app launches EmployeeAgent app in the Monitoring mode, tracking starts.||TimeTracker app stops EmployeeAgent. At the same time, EmployeeAgent attempts to submit the last work record. If it fails, it will be submitted on the next launch.||Your Operating System sends an event message, and EmployeeAgent stops the tracking. When the user gets back, the OS sends the message again, and EmployeeAgent resumes the tracking.|
4. Reporting Bugs
1) Please describe in detail your actions that resulted in the error and how we can reproduce it. What did you expect, but what was the actual outcome? The more information you provide, the sooner we can solve the issue. Also, please send us logs with background technical data according to the guideline below.
2) Create a temporary folder with the name of the computer or user you want to log, for example JohnPC, and two subfolders inside it: TimeTrackerd and EmployeeAgent.
3) You can get the error during the installation or running of the program. In the former case, you need to obtain logs from both the app and installation wizard. To obtain logs from the installation wizard, run any command-line terminal like cmd or far, and execute the following command in it. The installation wizard will run in the result, and you need to complete the installation process to the end. The following command prompt will let you obtain installation logs:
msiexec /i TimeTracker-Windows7-X64-0.7.43.msi /L*V ".\TimeTracker.log"
The name of the app TimeTracker-Windows7-X64-0.7.43.msi can differ depending on the installed software. Now copy the log file you created (for Windows, it is TimeTracker.log) into the newly-created temporaty folder.
4) In the subfolder EmployeeAgent, copy the four folders (data, etc, licenses, log) found here:
- For Windows:
- For Linux:
5) In the subfolder TimeTrackerd, copy the four folders (data, etc, licenses, log) found here:
6) As a result, you will have the following folder structure:
JohnPC EmployeeAGent data etc licences log TimeTrackerd data etc licences log
7) Archive the folder JohnPC and send it to our support team using the channels you have used before. If this is your first support call, please fill out a support ticket form.
8) In case of issues on multiple machines, the following instruction is to be executed for each machine, and files should be sent independently.